British in India
return to main Links page
- If your Ontario family is of British origin you should be aware that many British families had members who went to India between 1600 and 1947. The links provided here give a good starting point for this research.
- India office records. "The focus of the India Office Records is in the territories now included in India, Pakistan, Burma and Bangladesh and their administration before 1947."
Families in British India Society (FBIS)
- "Search a database of more than 580,000 individual names."
Valmay Young's British India Family History site
- surname register: over 1700 different surname interests listed!
Toronto Reference Library
- British India records - 4th floor Special Collections Desk
University of Toronto (Robarts Library – 5th floor)
- British Parliamentary Papers for British India Family History Research - Digital images of the Parliamentary Papers from 1801 to 1900, with full text indexes, available through ProQuest database. – access to U of T community only. - also available on microfiche (4th floor)
The London Gazette
- Search the archives - " a huge archive of historically important information published since the London Gazette was first published in 1665 - Family, military, business, state."
University of Chicago: Digital South Asia Library
- digital books, images, maps, statistics
- Use the free, public version to find digital and print copies of books.
War Office Records (Library and Archives Canada)
- 844 microfilm reels plus transcripts and photocopies of British regiments which at some point served in Canada.
Rootsweb India Mailing List
- A mailing list for anyone who is interested in tracing their British and European Ancestors in British India.