Upcoming Meetings and Events
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
May 29 to 31, 2015 - Barrie Ontario - Ontario Genealogical Society - Conference 2015
Go to the conference website (http://www.ogs.on.ca/conference/) for details about workshops, speakers, tours, accommodation, meals, Marketplace and online registration.
Lang Pioneer Villahge Museum's season opened Tuesday, May 19th - check their website for the Season Schedule at - www.langpioneervillage.ca .
4TH LINE THEATRE Summer Season has been announced - check their website for the Season Schedule at - www.4thlinetheatre.on.ca .
Durham Region Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society - June Meeting to be held - Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 - 7:30 pm at the Auditorium, Oshawa Public Library, 65 Bagot Street, Oshawa, L1H 1N2. Guest Speaker - Dr Maurice Gleeson, Topic: Supercharging Your Genealogy with DNA. The meeting is open to the public and everyone is welcome. Further information can be found at www. durham.ogs.on.ca .
Beginner Genealogy Seminars
Dr Fraser Dunford, Past Executive Director of the Ontario Genealogical Society and member of Kawartha Branch OGS will guide you through:
The Basics - the family tree, family records, relationships, the importance of birth, marriage and death records and recording datesPlease check back often for updates.
Getting Started - guiding principles, citation and keeping records.
The schedule for the Beginner Seminars on Genealogical Research is as follows -
1) Tuesday, June 2nd, from 1-4:30 pm - hosted at Peterborough Public Library, 345 Aylmer St N, Peterborough. NOTE: To register for this free event, call 705-745-5382 ext. 2340
2) Tuesday, June 16th, start time 1:00 pm - hosted at the Lindsay Library. NOTE: To register for this free event, call Lindsay Library at 705-324-5632.
3) Tuesday, June 23rd, start time 1:00 pm - hosted at the Bobcaygeon Library. NOTE: To register for this free event, call Bobcaygeon Library at 705-738-2088.
(Additional locations are yet to be confirmed and posted.)
Kawartha Branch, OGS celebrating 40th Anniversary in 2015.
(Celebration plans TBA soon)
2nd Annual Kawartha Conference
Saturday, October 3, 2015
The theme is: Military Settlers. Speakers will discuss the political and military situation in the United Kingdom and Canada, useful records and several military settlement schemes.
(More details to come - Pending confirmation of speakers.)
KAWARTHA BRANCH PROJECTS
ONLINE NEWSPAPER ARTICLES
Earlier this year Kawartha Branch started a new outreach program through the online newspaper MyKawartha - http://www.mykawartha.com. There are two sets of monthly articles with one set scheduled to come out early each month and the other set to come out mid-month:
Families of the Kawarthas (aka Founding Families at the online address) will give brief histories of some of the early settlers in this area. The articles thus far are as follows:
1) Founding Families of the Kawarthas: The Hammelins
2) Founding Families of the Kawarthas: The Boltons
3) Families of the Kawarthas: The City Directories Offer So Much Insight
NOTE: If you would like to write about your ancestors for the series above, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Amateur Genealogist which introduces people to the basics of genealogy. The articles thus far can be found at the following links:
1) Getting to the 'root' of family history
2) Don't let the internet be your first stop when researching your family history
3) Understanding Civil Registration
4) How To Read A Census
ANOTHER NEW PROJECT
The Branch library has many family histories. We are creating a name index for each history and will put the index in TONI (The Ontario Name Index - the three million and growing name index created by OGS). If you would like to help, this is another project you can do in your own home. We send you a digitized copy of the family history, you read it, and you enter each name you find into a spreadsheet. If you want to help - please contact us at: email@example.com