The Kawartha Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society (OGS),
was formed in 1975. We are a group dedicated to supporting genealogical
research in the Counties of - The City of Kawartha Lakes (formerly known as
Victoria), Haliburton, Northumberland and Peterborough through our meetings, events, beginners courses, library collection,
We extend a warm
welcome to all those seeking out their family roots.
Kawartha Branch, OGS - now has a Facebook Group - "Kawartha Ogs"
Be sure to check it out and request to join - Researchers helping Researchers.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2016 Upcoming Meetings and/or Events
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
PLEASE NOTE: Due to unforeseen circumstances we have CANCELLED the One-Day Conference
Sickness and Health: 1830-1900
scheduled for Saturday, October 1, 2016
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Annual General Meeting - de la Fosse Library
Tuesday, November 15th, 2016
6:45 pm start
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Annual Bus Trip to Archives of Ontario is tentatively set for Wednesday, April 19th, 2017.
Watch for updates and confirmation toward the end of 2016.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
KAWARTHA BRANCH PROJECTS
1) Online Newspaper Articles
In 2015 Kawartha Branch started an outreach program through the online newspaper MyKawartha . There are two sets of monthly articles with one set scheduled to come out early each month and the other set to come out mid-month:
Families of the Kawarthas (aka Founding Families at the online address) will give brief histories of some of the early settlers in this area. The articles to date are:
- Jan 26, 2015 - Founding Families of the Kawarthas: The Hammelins
- Mar 11, 2015 - Founding Families of the Kawarthas: The Boltons
- April 13, 2015 - Families of the Kawarthas: The City Directories Offer So Much Insight
- April 29, 2015 - Founding Families of the Kawarthas: John Leslie
- June 8, 2015 - Families of the Kawarthas: The Tighe Family of Douro
- July 15, 2015 - Families of the Kawarthas: Margaret Frances Fothergill Bryson
- August 4, 2015 - Families of the Kawarthas: The McConkey Family of Monaghan, Ireland and Smith Township. Part One - from the "Old Country to North America
- October 27, 2015 - Families of the Kawarthas: The McConkey Family. Part 2 - Settling in the Peterborough Area
- November 3, 2015 - Families of the Kawarthas: Trotter and McQuade
- December 2, 2015 - Founding Families: The Elusive Robert Trew
- March 10, 2016 - Families of the Kawarthas: William Henry McCracken of Dummer Township
- March 13, 2016 - Families of the Kawarthas: Remembering Flu Victims
- May 3, 2016 - Families of the Kawarthas: The Batten Family
- July 4, 2016 - Families of the Kawarthas: The Carveth Family
- Aug 2, 2016 - Families of the Kawarthas: The Dunford Family
NOTE: If you would like to write about your ancestors for the series above, let us know at email@example.com
The Amateur Genealogist which introduces people to the basics of genealogy. The articles can be found at the following links:
- February 4, 2015 - Getting to the 'root' of family history
- February 23, 2015 - Don't let the internet be your first stop when researching your family history
- March 17, 2015 - Understanding Civil Registration
- April 17, 2015 - How To Read A Census
- May 25, 2015 - The Importance of searching original records
- June 22, 2015 - Sez Who? Why citation is a hard lesson to learn
- October 20. 2015 - Where there's a Will - There's Genealogical Gold
- November 25, 2015 - Personal Heritage
- January 4, 2016 - Land Records - Surveying
- January 13, 2016 - Land Records - From Crown to Owner - Part 1
- April 14, 2016 - Municipal Records - Part 1
- June 14, 2016 - Understanding Fraternal, Benevolent and Secret Societies
- August 15, 2016 - Municipal Records - Part 2
- August 15, 2016 - Land Records - From Crown to Owner - Part 2
- August 16, 2016 - Local Histories
2) Family History Name Index
The Branch library has many family histories. We are creating a name index for each history and will put the index in TONI (The Ontario Name Index - the three million and growing name index created by OGS). If you would like to help, this is another project you can do in your own home. We send you a digitized copy of the family history, you read it, and you enter each name you find into a spreadsheet. If you want to help - please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Access to our Library Collection at de la Fosse Library is by
Appointment Only. Please contact the Branch Librarian to book a day
|Our Branch Newsletter
"The Bulletin" - Next issue August 2016.
|©2003-2016 Kawartha Branch OGS. All rights reserved.
For problems or questions regarding this website contact our Webmaster.
Last updated: 05-Aug-2016.