All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"KRA" 2003 Obituary


KRAFCHIK o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-04 published
KRAFCHIK, Terrie (Theresa)
Died at Saint Mary's Hospital on Monday, November 3, 2003, at 90 years of age. Beloved wife of the late Paul Peter KRAFCHIK (February 1989.) Mother of Gail and her husband Bob HASLER of Ottawa, and Jim and his wife Lillian KRAFCHIK of Toronto. Grandmother of Michael KRAFCHIK, David KRAFCHIK, both of Toronto, and Laurel Anne HASLER of Saint John's, Newfoundland. Sister of Dorothy WEILER of Kitchener, Marie KARN of Puslinch, Loretta McCASKILL of Barrie, and Helen HIPEL of Waterloo. Sister-in-law of Gladys HERGOTT of Kitchener. Predeceased by her brothers, Irvin, Elmer and Jerome HERGOTT. Terrie was an active member of Saint Mark's R.C. Parish where she was also a member of the Catholic Women's League. She taught bridge to the blind from 1973-1975, and was very involved in parish bridge marathons from 1954-2003. The KRAFCHIK family will receive Friends at the Henry Walser Funeral Home, 507 Frederick Street, Kitchener (519-749-8467) Tuesday and Wednesday from 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m., with parish prayers on Wednesday at 8: 30 p.m. Prayers will be offered at the Funeral Home on Thursday, November 6, 2003 at 10: 15 a.m., then followed by Terrie's Funeral Mass at Saint Mark's R.C. Parish, 55 Driftwood Drive, Kitchener, at 11 a.m. Fr. Bill TRUSZ officiating. Interment Woodland Cemetery. As expressions of sympathy, donations to Saint Mark's R.C. Parish Mortgage Fund or to Saint Mary's Hospital Foundation would be appreciated by the family. Visit for Theresa's memorial.

  K... Names     KR... Names     KRA... Names     Welcome Home

KRAFCHIK - All Categories in OGSPI

KRAMER o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-02-19 published
Andres KRAMER 1908-2003
Andres KRAMER (Andy to all his Friends,) came to Canada at the age of 18. Andy was born in Sonderburg, Denmark, December 14, 1908. Settled in Toronto, was employed by the Robt. Swipson Co. as a radio technician also doing house calls in the evenings. He met Walter BENNETT, soon to become his brother-in-law. Andy married Marguerite Jane BENNETT (Daisey to all her Friends,) in 1934 at South Baymouth, where Daisy was born. Wedding took place at Huron Lodge. They went to Denmark on their honeymoon, taking their car with them.
About ten years later they moved to New York, where Andy was employed by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation). The time they spent there was very enjoyable. Later they returned to Toronto. Andy attended the University of Toronto and graduated with honours as an electrical engineer. They returned to the USA and settled in Stanford County where Andy was employed by Audio Magnetics manufacturing recording tape. Their vacations were always returning to Manitoulin Island. Later they moved back to Toronto where Andy founded Kramer Magnetics 1963, manufacturing various types of recording tape. He engineered and built all the equipment personally. Eric STILLWAUGH, his great nephew was one of his first employees and remained with him until Kramer Magnetics was sold in 1971 after about 10 years of operation. They moved to South Baymouth, built a home and retired, only to start another home on South Bay waterfront, along with a hangar where he proceeded to build a home-built Mustang float plane. Andy had previously obtained his pilot's licence. The government inspector said it was the best plane he ever checked out. Daisey, Andy's wife passed away in May 1986. In 1994, he sold his house in South Baymouth and settled in a retirement home in Goderich. Andy eventually due to eye failure was not able to drive his car. However, his two nieces Joyce McDONALD and Lena SAUDERS taxied him when necessary. Andy passed away peacefully at Huronview Rest Home in Clinton, Ontario after spending eight years in Goderich Place. He is survived by Erling ANDERSON and Jutta KRAMER, Joyce McDONALD, Lena SANDERS, Helen McQUAT, Georgina STILLWAUGH, Kenneth BENNETT, and many nieces and nephews. He also had two nephews, Gerald LEHMAN and Haus KRAMER, both deceased. Andy also had one sister, Missa KRAMER (deceased.)

  K... Names     KR... Names     KRA... Names     Welcome Home

KRAMER - All Categories in OGSPI

KRATOCHVILOVA o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-07-16 published
Rafael Georgieff KOLTSCHEFF
The family announces with sorrow his death, Friday, July 11, 2003, in Mindemoya, at the age of 87 years.
son of the late Georgi KOLTSCHEFF and of the late Maria KOLTSCHEFF (ne PETROVA.)
Loving husband of Miroslava KOLTSCHEFF (ne KRATOCHVILOVA) of Mindemoya.
Mr. KOLTSCHEFF worked in Manitoba, Sarnia and Toronto before settling in Sudbury as a supervisor for Rainbow Concrete. After his retirement in 1981, Rafael moved to Mindemoya where he took great pleasure in gardening and fishing. He was a wonderful husband and a good friend to all who knew him. A memorial service will be held at a later date in St. Francis of Assisi Anglican Church in Mindemoya. Co-operative Funeral Home, Sudbury.

  K... Names     KR... Names     KRA... Names     Welcome Home


KRAUSZ o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-10-15 published
FLDES, Violet (Ibi, Ibolya) (ne KRAUSZ)
Violet died peacefully at her home on October 14, 2003, in her 71st year. Beloved wife of Andr for 48 years. Devoted mother of Judy and Robert. Loving mother-in-law of Barbara. Dear sister of Kathy (Nador) and Agnes (Margittai). Doting grandmother of Emily, Avery and Amanda. Violet was the cohesive force of her family. She was a pioneer amongst women, a holocaust survivor and escapee of the Hungarian revolution of 1956. Violet emigrated to Canada with her husband and established a new life pursuing a successful 30-year career as a software engineer at Nortel with numerous accomplishments until her retirement. Violet's sensitivity, compassion, work ethic and ambitions set an example for all those who knew her. Her strong spirit was beaten by a long fight with cancer. Special thanks to Stephanie, Mila, Faye and the oncology support staff at Mount Sinai Hospital for their compassionate care. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 at 2: 00 p.m. at Steeles Memorial Chapel, 350 Steeles Avenue West.

  K... Names     KR... Names     KRA... Names     Welcome Home

KRAUSZ - All Categories in OGSPI

KRAWCZYK o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-09-09 published
Ernestine Millicent BLACKMAN- SMITH
By Mary Anne TOPERCZER Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - Page A24
Daughter, sister, wife, mother. Born November 30, 1912, in Toronto. Died February 10, in Brampton, Ontario, of congestive heart failure, aged 90.
Ernie was the third of eight children born to Rosalie and Ernest BLACKMAN who emigrated from England to Toronto in the early 1900s. Ernie's ambition in life was to marry and be a mother. At the age of 18, she set her sights on John Clare KRAWCZYK- SMITH and in 1932, at the age of 19, Ernie converted to Catholicism and they married. Their love affair lasted until John's death in Ernie always said that she was lucky -- not everyone takes to motherhood and homemaking but she did. Lucky for us that it was my mother's natural vocation. Ernie's life had meaning and purpose through meal preparation, housekeeping and the love and care of her children.
She gave birth to nine children within 21 years -- and this included two sets of twins!
She was organized and had a routine. Monday was wash day and for many years that meant a wringer washer and clothes on a line. Friday was the day for grocery shopping.
Sunday was Mass at 9 a.m. and dinner at 6 p.m. consisting of a roast, potatoes and homemade pie. The parish pastor was a regular guest at these dinners. The remainder of the week was filled with cooking, cleaning, baking, sewing and the supervision of her large family.
Her nurturing extended to her ailing sister and aging mother, as well as neighbours and the community at large through her work for the church and the missions. When we arrived home for lunch and returned from school each day, she greeted us with her warmth and we felt safe, loved and secure.
I can never recall that Ernie had an idle moment. She thrived on being needed and engaged in a meaningful task for someone.
When she needed a rest she put the kettle on, as she had learned from her mother the importance of a cup of tea. This break for tea each afternoon refreshed her and became the social framework for every visit with family and Friends throughout her life.
We were kept busy during the summer because of Ernie's job jar. We would blindly choose pieces of paper from that jar each morning and our selections determined the household tasks that would occupy us until lunch. We learned skills that prepared us for raising our own families.
Our summers were highlighted by two weeks at a cottage on Lake Simcoe where our days were magically filled with swimming, new Friends, seasonal fruit and parents who were relaxed and enjoying their offspring. Even though a rental cottage meant more work for Ernie, she was not deterred as she realized that the cottage experience would have long-term benefits for the family.
She found each one of her children special in their own way and we all had our own unique connection with her. There was a sense of stability in our family because of her. Ernie felt that there was no greater purpose in life than to be responsible for the lives of others.
After her husband's death, she lived in her home for three years with the assistance of her children and spent her final declining year in the home of one of her daughters.
Her funeral was attended by her family of more than 50 people her granddaughters served as pallbearers.
A son wrote her eulogy and a grand_son played the bagpipes -- a fitting tribute to a grand lady.
Mary Anne is Ernestine SMITH's daughter.

  K... Names     KR... Names     KRA... Names     Welcome Home

KRAWCZYK - All Categories in OGSPI

KRAWFORD o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-01 published
'Curtain up, laugh, laugh, laugh, curtain down'
Versatile comic actor appeared in a string of hit revues, as well as at the Shaw and Stratford festivals, in London and on Broadway
By Allison LAWLOR, Special to The Globe and Mail Monday, December 1, 2003 - Page R7
At the mere mention of his name some people would just start giggling. In fact, wherever the wonderfully comic actor Tom KNEEBONE went there was laughter. He loved not only to make other people laugh but also to let out his own deep laugh, which Friends say seemed to start in his gut and make its way up through his body, gathering force as it went.
"Tom could make me laugh longer and harder than anyone else," said Gary KRAWFORD, a long-time friend who first worked with him in the mid-1960s. "He was without a doubt the funniest man I've ever met in my life."
Mr. KNEEBONE, who has been described by some critics as one of the world's top cabaret performers, died in a Toronto hospital on November 15 after suffering a heart attack and other complications. He was 71.
The versatile performer appeared for many years at the Shaw Festival and the Stratford Festival of Canada, where during the 1976 season he played Puck opposite Jessica TANDY in A Midsummer Night's Dream. He also performed at London's Old Vic, the Charlottetown Festival and on Broadway. He was a guest with the Canadian Opera Company and the National Ballet of Canada, a company he greatly admired.
Toronto audiences may remember him best for the string of hit revues he performed with Dinah CHRISTIE, which included Ding Dong at the Dell, The Apple Tree and Oh Coward! "I was absolutely in awe of the man," Ms. CHRISTIE said, recalling the first time they performed together 38 years ago.
They developed an enduring partnership that resulted in appearances across the country performing everywhere from cabarets to big concert halls with symphony orchestras. In Toronto, they performed together at Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall. Over the years, working with Mr. KNEEBONE became like "working with kith and kin," Ms. CHRISTIE said.
"We made each other laugh," she said, adding that they worked so well together because they were complete opposites.
While Mr. KNEEBONE was happy living and working in the big city, Ms. CHRISTIE feels more at home on her farm in rural Ontario with her animals and open space.
Born in Auckland, New Zealand, on May 12, 1932, Mr. KNEEBONE later moved to England to study at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. After graduation, he went with the company on a 1963 North American tour. When the tour folded in New York, Mr. KNEEBONE went out looking for work. He travelled to Toronto and joined the Crest Theatre Company, where he got a job performing in a production of She Stoops to Conquer. He later starred with the Canadian comic actor Barbara HAMILTON in the hit revue That Hamilton Woman. The road was paved for him after that and, as he was quoted as saying, it was 40 years of "curtain up, laugh, laugh, laugh, curtain down."
Over the years, several critics remarked on Mr. KNEEBONE's unique facial features. Walter KERR in The New York Times once wrote: "His eyes are all right, but I think his nose is crossed."
In Time magazine, comparisons were made between Mr. KNEEBONE, Pinocchio and Charlie Brown. "With leprechaun whimsy, and a pace as assured as the Dominion Observatory Time Signal, his major weapon is a wonderfully mobile face that he seems never to have grown accustomed to. Small wonder," the writer wrote. "His features might have been drawn by a child. Eyes like silver dollars, a nose that wobbles to a Pinocchio point, and a mouth tight and tiny as Charlie Brown's when he is sad."
The moment the sun came up in the morning, Mr. KNEEBONE was up and out of bed, opening his curtains and declaring: "Let's get on with the show," his friend Doug McCULLOUGH recalled. "You cannot take the theatre out of Tom," Mr. McCULLOUGH said. "Tom was always on stage."
Mr. KNEEBONE was never without a story to tell, whether it was a tale about the crazy person who gravitated to him on a Toronto subway or a character he met while performing in a small town. "Everything had a theatrical dimension," Mr. McCULLOUGH said.
In recent years, Mr. KNEEBONE turned his attention toward writing and directing plays for the Smile Theatre Company. Once again he and his long-time friend Ms. CHRISTIE were collaborators. Together they brought professional theatre to senior citizens' homes, long-term care facilities and hospitals. Mr. KNEEBONE had been the company's artistic director since 1987.
Known for his extensive research, he spent hours combing through books and old musical recordings at libraries and theatrical museums collecting information to use in his productions. He charmed all the librarians at Toronto's public libraries, Ms. CHRISTIE said.
He loved the process of gathering Canada's little-known stories, whether it was the tale of a war bride or the country's first black doctor, and then bringing them to audiences. He also saw it as a way to give something not only to people whose health prevented them from getting to the theatre, but to the country that has accepted him so warmly when he arrived.
Despite his writing and directing, he never stopped performing. Just weeks before he died, Mr. KNEEBONE and Ms. CHRISTIE performed some of Nol Coward material together for a benefit.
"He was one of the masters of Nol Coward," Mr. Krawford said.
In addition to his stage work, Mr. KNEEBONE performed in film and television, including the movies The Luck of Ginger Coffey and The Housekeeper.
A proud Canadian, Mr. KNEEBONE was honoured by his adopted country with the Order of Ontario, and was named a Member of the Order of Canada in October, 2002.
He leaves his cousin, Robert GIBSON, in Australia.

  K... Names     KR... Names     KRA... Names     Welcome Home

KRAWFORD - All Categories in OGSPI