OGS Indexes and Databases
OGS puts particular emphasis on the creation of indexes. The lists below gather all of the public indexes in one place. Click on the title to go to that index.
TONI - The Ontario Name Index
TONI shows where information on a particular name may be found. It contains:
- First name
- Last name
- Record type (birth, marriage, death, obit, tombstone, newspaper article, etc)
- Date of event, at least to the decade
- Location of event, at least the county
- Where the full information may be found (does not include the information itself, just the source of it).
One major OGS project, for over 30 years, has been the recording of the inscriptions in all of Ontario's cemeteries. OGS is also indexing the names on the inscriptions.
Ontario Cemetery Locator
- The locator is a directory of cemeteries in Ontario. Volunteers have endeavoured to identify all marked, unmarked and abandoned cemeteries.
- Where available, transcriptions may be viewed at the OGS Provincial Library.
- Transcriptions may also be purchased from the local branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society or and some are available through the E-store.
Ontario Cemetery Ancestor Index
- This index includes names taken from transcriptions of the monumental inscriptions, cemetery records, and other sources that have been identified by various groups.
- Not all cemetery indexes are included in this database at this time.
- New indexes will be added as they become available. Check the County Table for a current list of Ontario Counties included in the Cemetery Ancestor Index.
- As TONI (The Ontario Name Index) grows, it will incorporate the information currently in the Ontario Cemetery Ancestor Index. Remember to check both indices for your elusive relatives. And remember to come back as both databases receive frequent updates.
OGS Provincial Index - OGSPI
- This is our largest index.
- It contains data from censuses, birth, marriage and death registers, references in books, land records, ship lists, military records and a host of other references.
- Each entry points to the original source, which you can then look up for the complete reference.
- Currently there are over 2.8 million names - and it keeps on growing.
PPV General Index
Some non-book, non-name specific items are available through our Pay-Per-View system (link to new Pay per View Page). They are listed in this index.