All About OGS Branches
Find an OGS Branch.
The Benefits of Joining an OGS Branch
||an OGS Branch can
| you live in the Branch's area,
||provide regular contact with other genealogists through workshops and guest speakers in your area.
| your ancestors lived in the Branch's area,
||help with access to people who understand the area and may be able to help guide you in your research.
| your ancestor's records are in the Branch's area,
||help with guidance on how to access those records. Many of Ontario's local records are not where you would think they would be. Many records are in Toronto or Ottawa, so these two Branches are often of particular interest to researchers.
- Our branches meet regularly throughout the year and encourage fellowship and sharing of expertise among members.
- Guest speakers share their knowledge.
- Special workshops may be offered, some in collaboration with other heritage and lineage groups.
- Branches offer library resources and publish regular newsletters and other genealogical resources.
- Branches produce a great deal of valuable genealogical material such as cemetery transcriptions and census indexes. Many branches serve more than one county, so the Branch may not have the county name that you're searching for in its name.
The Ontario Locator can help you can find what Branch a historical county, city or district belongs to, or you can try the Querying Geographical Names of Canada search service from Natural Resources Canada.
Find out how to join an OGS Branch now.