Ontario Genealogical Society Awards
Special awards are presented to individuals or organizations in recognition of their long-term commitment or specific contributions to genealogy or related activities.
Deadline for submissions or nominations for all Society-related awards is April 1 (or the next business day if this date falls on a weekend).
All submissions and nominations should be sent to the OGS Provincial Office by:
- email - firstname.lastname@example.org with the appropriate award title in the e-mail subject line
- mail - The Ontario Genealogical Society, 40 Orchard View Blvd., Suite 102 , Toronto, ON Canada M4R 1B9 Attn: Awards Committee (title of award)
In all awards and contests, the decision of the Judge(s) is final.
Citation of Recognition
Members and Branches are encouraged to submit the names of OGS members who:
- have provided a minimum of five (5) years of service to the Society;
- have shown leadership in the Society;
- have shown tangible contributions to the Society beyond the local Branch;
- have furthered the cause of genealogy in Ontario.
This award is normally restricted to five (5) or six (6) recipients per year.
The nominator(s) should submit the following:
- Name and Contact Information of Nominee;
- Number of Years of Service to the Society;
- Contributions to the Society (as they pertain to the intent of the award);
- Name and Contact Information of the Nominating Member(s) or Branch.
Award of Merit
Officers or Directors may submit the name of a Branch or institution for this award. This award is presented to:
- a Branch of the Society which has contributed to a special project which lies beyond the Branch’s regular participation in OGS activities;
- an institution whose contributions have been of benefit to the whole of the Society.
The Dr. Don Brearley Branch Newsletter Award - $500.00
Branches are asked to submit their best newsletter issue for the previous calendar year by April 1st (for example - a 2012 newsletter would be submitted for the 2013 award). This may be in either print or electronic form. Newsletters may be submitted to email@example.com
Criteria to be considered are:
- best newsletter overall
- best visual (graphics, layout, readability, etc.)
- best single article or feature