New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) is America’s founding genealogical organization and the most respected name in family history. Established in 1845, NEHGS is the nation’s leading comprehensive resource for family history research and the largest Society of its kind in the world. We provide expert family history services through our staff, original scholarship, data-rich website, educational opportunities, and research center to help family historians of all levels explore their past and understand their families’ unique place in history.
We are a member-based nonprofit corporation dedicated to advancing the study of family history in America and beyond, by educating, inspiring, and connecting people through our scholarship, collections, and expertise.
We offer the most comprehensive resources in the country for researching family history:
- An Expert Staff: Our professional genealogists are among the most respected and advanced in the profession. With research specialties including early American, New England, New York, Irish, English, Italian, Scottish, Atlantic and French Canadian, African American, Native American, Chinese, and Jewish genealogy, our expert staff can assist family historians by providing research advice in-person, over the phone, or in writing.
- Original Scholarship: To support the research of family historians around the world, we produce the most significant original research and important publications in genealogy, including, since 1847, the longest continually published academic journal in the field, The Register, the journal of American genealogy. In addition to the quarterly journal, we publish a quarterly magazine, the biannual Mayflower Descendant, the venerable journal of Pilgrim genealogy and history, twenty-to-thirty books per year, and a weekly electronic newsletter, The Weekly Genealogist.
- Website: the most-used genealogical society website in the world. AmericanAncestors.org provides access to more than 1.4 billion records spanning twenty-two countries covering the United States, the British Isles, continental Europe, and beyond.
- Education: exclusive, in-depth learning opportunities through more than 160 annual lectures, seminars, intensive research programs, tours, online courses and webinars, and special events
- Research Center: Named by USA Today as a top 10 world destination for family history, the public, members and visitors are invited to visit our eight-story library and archive where we offer the largest collection of original family history research materials in the country.
OGS members qualify for a discount on NEHGS memberships – visit members Corner and click on “Members Advantage Codes”. Current OGS members who are also NEHGS members qualify for a discount on purchases in the NEHGS store.