Marketplace

A1 & A2, B1 & B2

$5.00

Digital Download Only

Sold By: Hamilton Branch

Description

CEM 290_cem290

Address777 York Blvd,
Hamilton, ON L8R 2A4

Hamilton Cemetery on York Boulevard in Hamilton, Ontario is the oldest, public burial ground in the city of Hamilton. It is located on Burlington Heights, a high sand- and gravel isthmus that separates Hamilton’s harbor on the east from Cootes Paradise on the west.

Historically, the cemetery consists of three, separate burial grounds over 100 acres: Burlington Heights Cemetery, the Christ Church Grounds, and the Church of Ascension Grounds. From 1850 until 1892, each burial ground was administered separately, but by the beginning of the 1890s, the church wardens were encountering difficulty paying for the maintenance-and upkeep of their areas of the grounds. In 1892, an agreement with the City of Hamilton who assumed responsibility for all the grounds, which were renamed “Hamilton Cemetery”.