Bethel Church Cemetery
Also known as Bethel Methodist Church Cemetery, Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery
Other Known Names: Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery, Bethel Methodist Church Cemetery
Street Address: 4457 Bethel Church Road
Location: Lot 1, Concession 1 Ancaster
Type of Cemetery: Religious (Methodist/United)
Responsible Agency: City of Hamilton
Status for Burials: Closed for Burials Plot Plan: None
Size: Small, 70 monuments
Date of Opening: 1844
At the northwest corner of Ancaster, near the Brant County Line, Methodists from three surrounding townships came together in 1861 to form Bethel Church. The land, formerly owned by Peter Weaver of Ancaster, was given to the congregation to be used for a church and burial ground. It seems likely that the land had already been used as a cemetery, as the earliest gravestone dates to 1844. The church has been known as Bethel Methodist Church, Bethel Community Church, and Bethel Gospel Centre. The church is still open, although it appears to be rarely used, while the cemetery no longer sells plots but is open for burials to those with deeds.
1861, Methodists from three surrounding townships came together to form Bethel Church at the northwest corner of Ancaster, near the Brant County Line. It is likely that the land had already been used as a cemetery as the earliest headstone dates to 1844.
The cemetery contains about 70 monuments, many of which are so badly worn they are no longer readable. Plots are no longer sold but the cemetery is open for burials to those with deeds. It is maintained by the City of Hamilton.