Street Address: 1925 Governor’s Road
Location: Lot 32, Concession 1, Ancaster
Type of Cemetery: Religious (Methodist Episcopal), Municipal
Responsible Agency: City of Hamilton
Status for Burials: Open for Burials Plot Plan: None
Size: Small, 116 monuments
Fencing: Hedgerow and wire with open section Monument Types: Flat, upright and column Monuments of: Marble, and granite
The cemetery is located on Governor’s Road (Highway #99) in the town of Copetown, just east of the intersection with Highway #52.
Date of Opening: 1826
The land was originally registered as a Crown Patent to Andrew Templeton on September 1, 1797. In 1825, when the property was owned by James Waugh, one acre was sold to the Copetown Methodist Episcopal Church. The first burial was for James Hunt in 1826. By 1854 the church building was moved to a new location, as the original location by the cemetery was deemed to be too close to the railroad. By 1970, the Copetown Cemetery was under the care of the Town of Ancaster, and is currently maintained by the City of Hamilton.