Other Known Names: Jerseyville Methodist Cemetery
Street Address: Field Road
Location: Lot 19, Concession 2, Ancaster
Type of Cemetery: Religious (Methodist/United) and Municipal
Responsible Agency: City of Hamilton
Status for Burials: Open for burials Plot Plan: None
Size: Medium, 375 monuments
Fencing: Wire with open section Monument Types: Flat, upright and column Monuments of: Marble, granite and metal
The cemetery is located on the east side of Field Road, between Powerline Road and Jerseyville Road.Jerseyville Cemetery was established in 1818 and was originally known as the Jerseyville Methodist Cemetery.
n 1804, a log church was established at this location for members of the Jerseyville Methodist Episcopal Church. Served only by Circuit Riders, the Wesleyan Methodists took ownership of the property in 1833, with the Methodist Episcopal congregation moving to the other side of Field Road.
Through the leadership of Elwood Howell (1859-1945), a perpetual care fund for the cemetery was established. The first recorded burial in the cemetery is of Phebe Jane Smith who died in 1818, when it was owned by the Methodist Episcopal Church. While the Methodist Episcopal Church is no longer in existence, the Wesleyan Methodist, now a United Church, remains on the property. The cemetery remains in use and is currently administered by the city.